Bula Kava House Melo Melo Kava Powder

The last kava powder I tried from Bula Kava House was their Nambawan and it totally knocked my off my feet. In fact, it was a bit too strong and groggy for my taste since I usually drink kava to relax without being impaired. So this time I've decided to go back and try another one of their Vanuatu kava varieties: Melo Melo.

This kava costs $33 for a 1/2 lb bag, so it's a bit cheaper than the Nambawan which is $37 and in terms of strength it's much more tame. I can feel the effects after drinking about 2 tbsp of the powder (kneaded into water the traditional way) and can comfortably drink about 4-5 tbsps worth in an evening without feeling too sedated.

Taste: The taste lives up to its name by being very mellow and drinkable. In fact, this may be one of the first kava varieties I've had where I don't mind sipping it like a tea instead of having to knock back large gulps to avoid the flavor. It's woody, not too unlike chewing on a toothpick in the initial flavor, with light vanilla bean and peppery notes that build. The lip numbing sensation is subtle for the level of potency in this kava but you can definitely feel it after a big drink. The numbing sensation itself lasts longer than the aftertaste which is quite mild and short lived.

Effects: This kava feels great! Shortly after a few drinks I can feel that ~almost euphoric~ "oneness" that you get from a good kava, where you just feel at peace with the world around you. Everything is a bit more amusing and any sources of stress and anxiety are as far away from the mind as they can be. My motor skills don't seem impaired so it would be great for playing video games or socializing but I also feel totally happy just hanging out and watching movies. All is right in the world.

All-in-all, this is a very pleasant kava in terms of both taste and effects at a pretty reasonable price. If you're looking to get intoxicated or "drunk" this isn't the best choice (I'd recommend Nambawan for that). But if you're looking for something to calm your nerves and ease your anxiety without impairing you too much... Melo Melo is perfect. I'll certainly be adding this one to my board game night drink options!