Bula Kava House Nambawan Kava Powder

As someone who loves a few rounds of kava in the evening I'm always on the lookout for new varieties. In much the same way that different cannabis strains have different flavors and effects, kava can be just as variable. Sometimes you want a nice mild daytime kava to drink with friends over board games. Sometimes you want a strong bedtime kava that calms you to sleep... That's exactly what Bula Kava House's Nambawan is.

This kava currently runs at $37 for a 1/2 lb bag which is a bit pricier than other varieties from Bula, but not at all unreasonable considering how potent it is. And it is potent! Normally I can comfortably knock back anywhere between 4-5 tablespoons worth of kneaded powdered kava drinks but this one had me couch-locked after only 3 tablespoons!

Taste: The taste is woody and earthy with the characteristic pepper note that good powdered kava tends to have. You know it's a strong one after the first sip by how it numbs your lips almost instantly. Otherwise it tastes pretty typical and there's not much of an aftertaste, which is a good thing in the kava world.

Effects: After downing few shells I could feel my muscles all relax as though I just got a full body massage. Be careful, this kava comes on fast and it will completely melt you! It feels a bit groggy and drunk so I wouldn't recommend it for daytime socializing but the bodily relaxation is perfect for watching movies or knocking your out before bedtime.

My overall take is that this kava is a bit too strong and intoxicating for my preference but I tend to drink kava for the mild relaxation and anti-anxiety social effects. Still, if you're looking for an alternative to alcohol or you want something that's going to completely ease your muscles at the end of the day then Nambawan is a great choice!

Update: If you're looking for a less "intoxicating" kava from Bula Kava House I recently reviewed the Melo Melo and would highly recommend it!